Thursday 25 January 2018

Zigzag or fancy stitches.......

Just a quick post tonight on the eve of Australia Day. 

I thought it would be interesting to show you these couple of badges.   They both come from the same quilt which belongs to a friend of mine.   For those wondering, this is the badge of his old regiment, he no longer serves there. 


This quilt is about 2 years old and as you can see the edge of the above quilt is in much better condition than the edge of of the letter below.  That is because of the type of stitch that has been used.   I have long wondered how these fancier stitches stand up to the wear and tear of use and laundering and I think I have my answer.   I often see patches and initials for laundry bags sewn on with loose zigzag or fancy stitches that do not really enclose the raw edges of the patches or initials.  Whilst it looks fancy it does not enclose the raw edges anywhere near as effectively as a close zigzag does. 



We want our quilts and laundry bags to last the distance so it might be worth thinking about the sort or stitches you use for these sort or purposes.  Just saying.....


I am in Canberra for the weekend to sort through a bunch of the stuff that was dragged out of our home after the fire 18 months ago... (yes 18 months ago... time flies...) but to break it up I will also be presenting and delivering a couple of quilts and catching up with some friends and recipients.  On the way down I dropped off a dozen Laundry bags that will head back over to the West to some of our submarines next week. 

Wherever you are for Australia Day I hope you have a ripper!

Till next time..... keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

Jan-Maree xx

1 comment:

  1. That Australia 'all over flags' fabric is a shocker for fraying. You can buy embroidery circles/squares patterns etc to go around the alphabet and also the badges and it is the same stitch as the embroidery itself which I find great. I have them loaded on my 350e Janome and also on usb.

    ReplyDelete