Tuesday 11 February 2014

Grati-Tuesday

G’day all,
Firstly I am hoping that none of you are adversely affected by the bushfires that are causing so many problems at the moment.  If they are anywhere near you please stay safe.

I sent the following business information out to the Aussie Hero Volunteers earlier today but I know that not all of you who read the blog receive the emails so wanted to make sure you all had the information so I am repeating it here. If you received the email, or are not based in Sydney, and want to skip over it please go straight to the thank you messages.

Sewing Days

This is just a reminder that there is a sewing day at Penrith Patchwork this weekend.  We will be making laundry bags.   BYO sewing machine and lunch and I will provide the rest. 

I am not sure when the next sewing day will be held at my home as I have some repair work going on outside and they are due to move inside in to the family room and kitchen and we won’t be able to work here while that is on.  I wish I didn’t have to live here while it was on!

Pot Luck Dinners

There are two Pot Luck Dinners coming up.  One is in Adelaide, at Julie Ann’s home in Hillcrest on Saturday the first of March.  All are welcome and a number of quilters have already RSVP’s to Julie Ann.  If you are interested in coming please email Julie Ann so that she can get back to you with the details and what to bring etc.  Her email address is julieannsearle@adam.com.au

The second dinner is at my home (the builders will be finished) on Tuesday the 11th of March.  If you would like to come please let me know.  Our lovely Chaplain Mark will be attending and I will try and get a few other recipients here. Will keep you posted on that one.

Email List for Sydney Based Friends


Finally I want to create a Sydney based email list (I know not before time) for all those based in Sydney who attend the sewing days etc.  Rather than trying to go through my contacts and try to remember to include everyone can you please send me an email if you wish to be on it.  You don’t have to come to everything but if you think you might like to know what is going on in Sydney then you should get on the list.

A Special Thank You



I think I have shown you a picture of this beautiful quilt made by Bev and Geoff Coates from poppy blocks Bev made.  Last week I posted it off to the parents of a Fallen Warrior.  This afternoon I received a phone call and a very heartfelt thank you from the father.  I won't say any more to protect their privacy but I thought you should know that much.

The Other Thank You Messages

Dear Jan-Maree



I would like to thank you and the team at Aussie Hero Quilts for  generously spending your time and effort for designing a quilt for me. I have not used it and plan on saving it for when I return home back to Australia and show mum as she would love it. I'm very happy with the design and quality that you have put into the quilt. Its nice to know that your foundation is doing wonders for service men and women on deployment. I can't thank you enough and wish you best of luck on continuing the great service you are providing.

.....

For Evelyn

Yes I have received my blanket.  I'm so sorry for not replying earlier I have just been really really busy with work.  I loved my blanket - reminded me of my little girl as soon as I opened it, it was beautiful and I also liked my laundry bag it was nice and simple.

thank you very much for organizing that and I hope you all had an amazing Christmas and New Year 

.....

For Deb B

The quilt is awesome. I will keep it as a treasure from my time in Afghanistan!
.....

Joan and Robin,

                            I have just received you parcel with laundry bag that you sent me. I am very thankful of the gift and the time and effect that you both put in making it.  It is always great when we receive mail from loved ones, but from people that we did not know it is just as heart felt. This is my 5th deployment and I have always received parcels from school children and people like yourselves and it always makes me joyful that a lot of Australians will take time to ensure that Australian soldiers are taken care of while deployed overseas.
I have always kept the gifts with the cards so I can show my children when I get home and then they are placed with my special deployment items.
 
Again I would like to thank you very much for the laundry bag and please keep up the excellent work because we, the Australian soldiers, really appreciate the gift.
 
Thank you very much
.....

Hi Jan-Maree,



I have indeed received my beautiful new quilt. Thank you so much for the time and effort you and your team have spent making these wonderful gifts for us. They will always be treasured.

.....


Hi Chelly,


Thank you so much for the quilt and laundry bag!  I absolutely love them.  The amount of work you must have put into them, even down to the football shaped stitching, is incredible.  They have pride of place in my room and add some much needed colour to the place.



The quilt is doing a great job keeping me warm at night.  I went away on an overnight trip the day after I received it; the quilt fit nicely into my day bag and kept me a lot warmer than I thought I'd be staying in a big tent!  Back at Kandahar it sits on top of my doona and keeps me from freezing in the winter chill.  The laundry bag is great: much bigger than the one I was using before, and stands right out in the laundry room.



Anyway, thank you again for taking the time and effort to make these for me.  I absolutely love them. 


Best regards,

...

Dear Jan-Maree,
I apologise for the late response as this is my first day back to work and things have been quite hectic. I have recieved the quilt and was massively impressed with the quality and it was evident the time and care taken to make it. I can't thank you enough and everyone involved too. I was blown away as I had no idea that there were people giving up their time to do this for us. It means the world to me that Australians are supporting the troops overseas.

Once again a huge thanks,
.....

Jan-Maree,

        My quilt has arrived and no you cannot have it :-). 

(I told him I would be happy to take it off his hands if he did not like it!  LOL as it that was going to happen!)

        I am amazed at the quality and workmanship that Pennie has put into it. As I have put down in a letter to Pennie - it is a work of art. The detail and combinations of all things Australian are mind blowing. I am one very happy camper - Thanks.

        I did do a tour of my work place showing it off and I can tell you there were a lot of offers to take it off my hands - not a chance. Pennie also enclosed a photo of herself, husband and grand children making the gift that much more personal. At the risk of repeating myself you and your organisation are a godsend to service people deployed away from home.

        In closing please pass on my "Good on Ya" and appreciation to Pennie and all of your group.  Its people like you guys and girls that make me proud to be an Australian Soldier.

Cheers

.....


Dear Stephanie T

I was really surprised and amazed when I received your fantastic quilt recently.  It was amazing to see the fabric with pictures of mountain climbers on it.  I was really surprised that you would have such an obscure piece of material,  Every time I see it. it reminds me of all the good times I've had in the mountains.

In a time when most people in society are so individually focused, it is so humbling to have someone go to so much effort to do something nice for someone they've never even met.  I really appreciate all your efforts and it is great to see how happy your quilts make my soldiers and the others I work with. 

Even thought it is a 'mild' winter here, it is stilll very cold for us Aussies so your quilt will help at night.

King Regards



Till next time...............keep spreading the word and happy stitching! JMxx

No comments:

Post a Comment