Tuesday 5 November 2013

Tuesday - Dinner Updates and Request List

G'day all,
Time for an update on the status of the dinner venue.  Thanks to those who bought tickets over the weekend we now have the required numbers to keep the dinner at the planned venue, the United Service Club, 183 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Brisbane.  I am so looking forward to meeting those who are attending, both quilters and recipients.  
To put some faces to the names I regularly type into my laptop will be wonderful!  
For those of you who have not yet bought tickets it is not too late now that we have the venue secured.  Details are as follows-


Aussie Hero’s Brisbane Dinner

Date – 30th November 2013

Commencing – 6:30pm

Venue - United Service Club  
183 Wickham Terrace
Spring Hill, Brisbane

Ticket Price $45.00 per person
This includes a cocktail style food service, ticket in the lucky door prize 
and 1 ticket in the raffle. 

Please make your payment via direct deposit (EFT)

Bank Account Name – Aussie Hero Quilts (and Laundry Bags) 
Westpac Dural Branch  
 
BSB 032376
 
ACCOUNT NUMBER 301860

A copy of the deposit (EFT) receipt needs to be sent to Angela George to confirm your reservation.

TICKET SALES CLOSE 6 PM MONDAY 25TH NOVEMBER

A little something extra!

Just before I put up the request list I just had to share a couple of photos a thoughtful past recipient sent me.  A few years ago, oh well alright, around twenty years ago, I was a LEUT serving at HMAS Cerberus.  When the time came for me to post out of Cerberus I had to think about what I would present to the Wardroom (the Officer's Mess) as my farewell gift.  I had several "traditional" items to choose from - a pewter goblet for example - that would sit in the glass cabinet in the Mess in display ...........  sorry not my style. I wanted to leave a more personal gift.  Back in those days my craft of choice was cross stitch.

I designed a stitchery of the Naval Hymn, had it framed with a little brass plaque and on my last day in the Mess I presented it to the Exectutive Officer (the President of the Mess).  I went back to Cerberus some time later whilst I was still in the Navy and was delighted to see where it was hung.  I am even more delighted to know that 21 years later (where did those years go???) it is still hanging there on the right as you walk into the dining room.  




If you would like to read the words but can't manage it here you can check them out here 


                    And a very big thank you, my friend, for sending me the photos.  :-D


Requests for this week.


About the requests in general.  

We ask the troops to give us their favourite colours, their hobbies and interests.  They may not always go together.  For example the fellow whose favourite colours are green and blue and yet his favourite team is the Sydney Roosters and he loves V8's.  If you can make him a green and blue quilt that is great.  OR you might choose the Sydney Roosters theme (with a green/blue backing perhaps).  Don’t feel you have to include everything that is listed.  They will be grateful whatever you choose.

If you would rather just make a quilt and a request includes a laundry bag please let me know.  I will allocate the laundry bag to someone else.

Q and LB stand for Quilt and Laundry bag and that indicates if they would like one or both.

If you wish to take on a request please give me all the information on the line INCLUDING the number at the end so that I can match them up on the request list master.



red and black  OR  fishing and car racing.

Q LB
13

Green and blue, sydney roosters, V8's.

Q LB
14
Red and White, St George Dragons.

Q LB
15
Blue, Fishing, AFL, Cars, Beer, Outback Australia

Q LB
16
Scuba Diving OR Surfing  OR Rugby Union (she plays for the army)
Blue and green

Q LB
40
Black - Gold Coast Titans OR Metallica

Q LB
17
Red and black
Skulls OR flowers OR animals

Q LB
20
Cars, motor bikes, trucks, boys stuff

Q LB
22
Colour- Blue, hobbies/interests- Motorcycles

Q LB
39
Blue red Newcastle Knights

Children’s names provided if requd

Q LB
24
Chess (chess board pattern?)

Q LB
25
Manly sea eagles - Maroon and white

Q LB
26
YOUR CHOICE
LB only
28
Paragliding paramotoring  “Ned”

LB Only
29
Motorcycles cars

Q LB
31
Deputy dog

Q LB
32
Water sports retro

Q LB
33
Brisbane Broncos  Nickname ASH

Q LB
34
Deep blues and greens

Q LB
35
purple as in the LA Lakers
Broncos, Maroons OR Lamborgini

Other info
Valiant chargers, red bull racing (V8 supercar team), HRT (V8 supercar team),

Q LB
35
RAAFie

Q LB
37
soccer, the Broncos OR cricket

Q LB
38

These are not the only requests on the list but they are the only ones with preferences so if you wish to make your own preference I can find homes for them.

I hope you can find something that looks interesting to work on.

Till next time............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!  JMxx

No comments:

Post a Comment