Thursday 1 August 2013

Block of the Month for August 2013 - Wonky Cross Reprise...

Well, it is the first of the month, actually the first of August. As well as being the recognised birthday for all horses in the Southern Hemisphere, is it time to post the next Block of the Month.

I have had a few requests from people who would like to see some of the blocks we did last year repeated.  That absolutely suits me as I really liked some of those blocks and some of the resulting quilts are some of my favourites.   If you receive one you should know that I do not allocate them lightly.  LOL  

This month we are going to reprise the Wonky Cross.

I happen to really love the Wonky Cross and I think it makes an awesome quilt.  Can't you just see this one cheering up someone's bed? 



And I love this one with a flag in it.   



Last year I asked you all to stick to red or blue with a white cross and the resulting quilts were striking but this year lets have some fun!  I am not going to re-write the tutorial but here is the link to it to make it easier for you.  Wonky Cross Tutorial  I made some new blocks for this year and found them quite addictive.  I could have quite happily kept cutting them and sewing .......but for the fact that I have a mountain of emails to answer!  



No limit on colours this year but let's have some fun with the fabrics and colours please.   
Also please make sure that there is enough contrast between the cross and the background fabric so that the cross stands out.



And if you want to be really wonky (and some might say I do that naturally) you can cut your halves in pairs and mix up the pairs and maybe get something like this.  



I was thinking it could be fun to make four blocks with four different fabrics but the same cross fabric. Then lay the squares on top of each other then slash them.  Mix them up so that you get four different background fabrics in each block.  that would be fun!   If you are not sure what I mean then let me know and I will do a bit of a sample over the weekend for you.


Here are a few more quilts for you to think about and be inspired by.






One last point.  In the tutorial it says that I will trim the blocks once they get here.  If you have a Rotary cutter and the appropriate cutting board....
Can you please trim your own blocks to 9 1/2".  

That will reduce my work load significantly.

Once again I have a list of those who have sent off quilts and laundry bags this week.  If you have sent something off and are not on this list please let me know as soon as possible. 
Angela
Anne
Jan
Sandra
Debbie
Gail 
Helen
Judy C (2)
Kaylee
Karen B
Keryn
Kim
Liz
Maddy
Marg
Stephanie D
Stephanie T
Su
Sue N

Till next time..............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!  JMxx


And just in case you are wondering why all horses have their birthday on the one day of the year.....    All thoroughbreds have the same birthday so that their ages can be standardized for comparison because of the historical lack of records of actual birth days. Their birthdays are January 1st in the northern hemisphere and August 1st in the southern hemisphere. After the first time a horse is alive on August 1st it is considered a yearling. The next August 1st is it's 2nd birthday and it is considered 2 years old, even though it could conceivably be one year one day old.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like lots of fun. Just checking that you want the block size 9" as the tutorial says 9 1/2".

    ReplyDelete