Friday 24 May 2013

Weekly Dispatches 24 May


The tally so far-
51  quilts this week and 98 laundry bags.

498 quilts and 1082 laundry bags for 2013

1515 quilts and 2456 laundry bags in total.

Woo Hoo - 
over 1500 quilts and over 2400 Laundry bags in total!!! 


Before we start tonight allow me to introduce you to the wonderful Old Bags and the Dag  - the sewing group at the Heritage Lodge in Murwillumbah.   I posted this picture on the Facebook page last night as it reduced me to tears of pride when I received it and I knew it would affect others as well.  Little did I know it would get  HUGE response on Facebook.  I copied all the comments and passed them back to Margaret who coordinates the group and she sent me the following message

"to everyone that reads this message,we at Heritage Lodge in Murwillumbah have been so touched with the comments posted on here and messages from the Heroes..these will be shared with all residents as soon as we can control our emotions..at moment we don,t have enough tissues..this is the most up lifting thing I have ever done in my years of nursing...our love and thanks go out to you all..this will certainly inspire the old bags & the dag.(our sewing group name).to keep making these bags..the two standing are 100yrs old..just amazing..."

I am not going to share anymore about them at the moment as I am waiting for Margaret to get back to me with some more information on all of them and then they will feature in a post of their very own.   As one Colonel who I told about them said they are "Members of the 'greatest generation' of Australians."  Here Here!!




We have a bumper week of quilts and laundry bags this week so grab a tipple of your choice and sit back and enjoy!

We received a request for a girl who would like something bright and pretty and whose favourite flower was the PEONY!  Hmmmm, I thought.  Well, maybe someone will have some.  As I got up to leave my sewing room/office I glanced up in my private stash and there I spotted this fabric and suddenly remembered it was called Pretty Peony!  Now I bought two meters of this to make in to a quilt for myself ..........as you do...........and it has sat there.........as fabric often does in quilters' stashes (BE HONEST GIRLS!)  A couple of days later we had a sewing day Evelyn and Lisa took on the task of sorting the this quilt out.  We decided that the floral was just too pretty to cut into so they pieced the back instead and made this the front.


It went off to Carol for quilting and binding.


Don't you love Carol's choice of the bright green gingham binding?


Anne T sent this quilt to me and it was sent off to a Bombers fan 


Anne H sent off two quilt and laundry bag sets





Two of Bev's awesome tea towel laundry bags headed off to appropriate recipients.



Beth made this awesome scrappy crazy patch quilt - I am thinking about this block for a scrap busting block of the month - what do you think?


Jenny and Gale made this disappearing nine patch for leftover BOM blocks!


This is another great block that would be good for scrap busting  - this quilt by Catherine.


Evelyn's friend, Cheryl made this lovely quilt


and even the back is interesting.


A Happy Broncos fan will be receiving this quilt from Debbie.


The Fabric Happiness Fairies have been busy and sent three more quilts off.




Debra made an awesome Aussie strippy


Here is a close up of the fabrics.



Two lovely scrap quilts from Diane P


DeeEmEss made her first laundry bag although she is regularly quilting tops for me.



Evely is back with two more quilts - close up shown so you can get a better look at the nautical motifs.





Jill M


I can show you two of my laundry bags this week - the others have to wait til they have been received so as not to spoil the surprise!



Judith M's 


Judith R


Judy D


Laurel


Leanne M


Julie Ann


Julie 



Liz









Joan has also been very busy with lots of laundry bags

 



Liz B


Lynn made the top for this one, DeeEmEss quilted it and I appliqued the Hercules aircraft on it.  No prizes for guessing who it is going to.



Margaret has been busy making three quilts




And a different Margaret, Margaret H has also been busy - only two of the Broncos squad was not available to sign this for the lucky recipient.  Wouldn't you like to see the look on his face when he received it!


Nancy sent off a whole bunch of quilts to two groups of fellows this week.















This is another of Nancy's great quilts - fabric donated by Beth.


Two more of Nancy's for special requests.



Kerryn C (WA) sent this off - guess where it is going to!


This is one of Rita Mee's - we had to wait till we knew it had been received before posting it!



Natalie made her first laundry bag (and her first quilt is with me for quilting)


Ruth made this one - she was able to give it to the recipient before they departed so it is a little wider than normal.


here is a close up - Gumnuts!  Love it


Sue Flemming made this one and the one that follows, both with matching laundry bags!





Su sent off a couple of bags.




7 laundry bags from Sue N



And finally how about another even dozen laundry bags from Sue N




I am going to apologize in advance if I have left someone out tonight as I forgot to add my normal reminder list to last night's post.  If you should be here and you are not please let me know.


Till next time..............keep spreading the word and happy stitching!



















5 comments:

  1. what a great post.....nice to see so many quilts and laundry bags still being made......love the photo of new sewing group....100yrs old and still stitching.....good on them.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great haul. Aussie Post should be starting to see a difference in their depot.
    It is great to see the diversity of quilts and laundry bags. Well done to the members of Old bags and the dag. I think it is great and we should see photos of more sewers with their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to the wonderful ladies who do all this, but from my hubby a special thank you to those who are doing the little bear patches for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous post, Love the old bags and the dag, what an inspiration! I hope to be able to sew at their age too! Wonderful quilts and laundry bags, Great work everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a feast of colour and design, I'll have to come back tomorrow and look again. I feel so inspired looking at all these and can hardly believe so many are being made, week after week, after week. And isn't it wonderful we can claim to be part of a group that ranges in age from about 6 years up to 100. Well done everyone.

    ReplyDelete