Sunday 18 November 2012

A quick tutorial

Hi Guys

Caroline here,  I thought I'd help out the Chief and do a post to cover her whilst she's out of town this weekend.

This is a really quick tutorial which could be used with some great feature fabrics, or some block's you have lying around that you're not sure what to do with.  I have been able to get the quilt top together in one night once it's all cut out.

So here goes...



A QUICK AND EASY QUILT TOP TUTORIAL
(Not sure if you can see this too well, the feature fabric is gorilla's in trees)




You need:

 A. 1 metre of Feature Fabric (or 8 x 12 ½ “ Blocks)
 B. 1 metre of Companion or Co-ordinating Fabric

 C. approx 1 metre of Sashing Fabric plain or Patterned

Cutting:
A. 9 X 12 ½ “ Squares (You can use 1 in a matching laundry bag

B. 6 x 5 ½ “ Strips  WOF (Width of Fabric)
C. 10 x 3 “ Strips  WOF (Width of Fabric)

Step 1
From the 3” strips cut 12 X 12 ½” lengths and sew these strips to the edges of your 12 ½” feature fabric squares. Sew 3 strips and 2 Squares together to form a row.  You will end up with 4 rows of 2 squares.  The last square will be on its own, which once sashed can be used on a laundry bag.

Step 2
From the 3” strips cut 5 X 32” lengths and sew these strips on the top and bottom of your first row then sew the second row on then add a strip to the bottom of the second row... and so forth till all the rows are sewn together.  You will end up with 8 blocks (4 rows of 2)  sashed around all sides forming the middle of your quilt.

Step 3
From the 5 ½ “ strips cut 2 X 32” lengths and sew these strips to the top and the bottom of your finished centre.  Now sew 4 WOF strips together, press seam then cut 2 X 71” strips.  Sew one of these strips to each side to complete your quilt top. (I have amended the longer strips to 71" as I made an error originally, Caz)

*** Note please double check your measurements with mine before cutting your strips to make sure the strips will match up.  Otherwise add a little extra to the measurement for the fudge factor.
*** I have used ¼ “ seam throughout and pressed the seams along the way.

 So hope you like this one, and I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can spot some coming through on the blog.  Till next time, happy sewing everyone.  And to all you guys and girls overseas.... stay safe.
Caz
Thanks so much for filling in for me Caroline.  I have just enough time to add in a few thankyou messages and a photo.

Good afternoon Carol and Kelly, 
How are you both?
I received my Quilt recently and am writing to thank you for making it for me.
It was wonderful to receive my Quilt and Laundry Bag, although it is still a bit hot to be snuggling into the Quilt at night. I am particularly grateful that I can identify my laundry at a glance and don't have to rummage through all boys bags looking for my things now.
I do appreciate that you are thinking of us and I am amazed that so many people go to so much effort for strangers. Please know that there have been some very happy people receiving these items and our team works a whole lot better knowing people are thinking about us.
I am looking forward to getting home to see my son who is turning 18.   Not sure I will make that date but I should be celebrating with him not long after. And just quietly, I'm really looking forward to a big glass/bottle of wine.
Thank you again ladies. This Quilt will stay with me forever.
Merry Christmas to you also.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
Good evening Jan-Maree, I have received the laundry bag from yourself and Karen B today. It's great, thank you both very much. I won't have to go through a couple of hundred laundry bags now to find one. Thank you all very, very kindly. 
One of the lads received his quilt today as well and he likes his quilt very much. A few of the other lads and ladies were looking on and asking where it come from. I let them know you are forwarding a box of bags to me as well as XXXXXX. I think we have a few takers. 
Thanks to you and AHQ's for your on going support, it is greatly appreciated. Stay well, stay safe. 

I forwarded this email to Naomi as it was the result of one of the quilts and LBs she sent

Jan-Maree
My quilt has arrived and I love it. Not only that, the personalised laundry bag is exactly what I need.
I just want to thank you again for the work your organisation is doing and enjoyed very much reading the e-mail you sent on Remembrance Day.
Please let me know if there is some way I can support your efforts in future.


I received an awesome quilt and laundry bag in the mail today along with some other goodies and a cool beanie. Please pass on my gratitude to Julie Ann Searle for the excellent job she did and also a big thank you to you and all the other quilters that are supporting us back home. It is really appreciated. I will post some pics of the quilt and laundry bag on Facebook when I get a chance. 
With many thanks,


Till next time...........keep spreading the word and happy stitching!

1 comment: