- make a laundry bag or two (or three……) Instructions coming up in my blog soon - hopefully tomorrow night
- make a quilt top (or two or three….) The soldiers quilts are made and sized specifically to fit into a particular sized post box coz then I can post them for free – anything posted to the soldiers in Afghanistan under 2kg is free! I designed our quilts to be the width of the fabric so about 42” and about 66” or 1.8m long. Basically we just sewed 6 1/2 “ wide strips of fabric together into one long strip – cut that down into 42” lengths and 11 of those made up the quilt tops. Quick and simple – utilitarian but I still think they looked cool and the guys that have received them so far loved them.
- make a quilt – Follow the instructions above and then layer and quilt. We simply quilted in the ditch along the stitching lines of each row – i.e. ten rows of stitching per quilt. Mind you, we had 23 quilts to layer and quilt in one day. More quilting would probably not be a bad idea. Binding is sewn on by machine for durability. I cut my normal binding about 2 1/2 “ but for these quilts, to make it easier to managed I cut 2 ¾”. Sew on the back first, fold over to the front and use a zig zag stitch if you like or a straight stitch – whatever you are comfortable with.
- if you don’t have time to sew a quilt or a laundry bag, no problems. Cut some 6 ½” strips and send them to me to be incorporated into quilt tops here. Or you can buy or send me 80cm of fabric for a laundry bag and send it to me! I will make it up.
- If you want to sew something but don’t have fabric, let me know and I will send you a kit to make a quilt top or laundry bag.
- If you are time poor but still want to help, you could buy some batting online (we always need batting!) and have it shipped to me for the quilts. Batting is one thing we are in short supply of and always have to buy.
If you have any other ideas how you can help, please let me know. I am definitely open to suggestions. I try to answer all emails as long as you are able to be contacted. I try to get back to you on the day you contact me but I am coordinating this on my own with sewing help from my quilt group, so please bear with me if it takes me a day or so.